Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Minty Meringues


I was wondering what to do with some left over egg whites since I made another attempt at my eggnog custard (post to come). I decided to make some Meringues. Good news is that these are super low calorie, low fat, low carb, and high(er) protein (87% protein according to fitday.com, which is by far the best nutritional profile I’ve ever found when it comes to dessert recipes). Bad news is that I ate the three quarters of the batch as soon as they came out of the oven and they aren’t very filling, but they are very tasty and sweet ;) At least I don’t have to feel guilty for eating them though! The texture is different from traditional meringues; these remind me of minty marshmallows, not a bad thing to be reminded of…  This recipe makes 12, but if you’re at all like me you’ll probably eat a bunch of them, so there will be minimal ones left for picture taking or family taste testing :)


Ingredients:
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 1 teaspoon erythritol
  • 1/4 tsp stevia
  • 1/4 tsp mint extract

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 300°F. Grease cookie sheet.
  2. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff and shiny (a good test is to turn the bowl upside down, and if they don’t fall out then you’re good). Mix in erythritol and stevia, add more sweetener if you want. Fold in the mint extract.
  3. Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly brown.
Nutrition Info:
  • For whole batch: 36 calories, 0.1g fat, 0.9g carbohydrates, 7.2g protein
  • Per Serving (12): 3 calories, 0g fat, 0g carbohydrates, 0.6g protein.

2 comments:

  1. Ha Ha! Oh I just had an image of me making these and testing to see if they were "stiff"... and well they just plopped on the floor. HA HA! But this actually sounds pretty interesting....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I'm always afraid of that happening too lol, my brother teases that I'll end up with a big meringue mess.

    ReplyDelete